"To find out what a story's really about,' the Librarian said,

'you don't ask the writer. You ask the reader."


- SNOW & ROSE by Emily Winfield Martin


Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Teaser Tuesday #4: Playlist for the Dead by Michelle Falkoff (YA)


TEASER TUESDAYS is a weekly bookish meme hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading...
This is where we get to share a little snippet of what we are reading! 


by Michelle Falkoff
Release date: January 27th, 2015
Published by: HarperTeen
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary
Format: Hardcover, eBook
Format reading: ARC from the publisher.


SUMMARY

A teenage boy tries to understand his best friend's suicide by listening to the playlist of songs he left behind in this smart, voice-driven debut novel.

Here's what Sam knows: 
There was a party. There was a fight. The next morning, his best friend, Hayden, was dead. And all he left Sam was a playlist of songs, and a suicide note: 
For Sam — listen and you'll understand.

As he listens to song after song, Sam tries to face up to what happened the night Hayden killed himself. But it's only by taking out his earbuds and opening his eyes to the people around him that he will finally be able to piece together his best friend’s story. 
And maybe have a chance to change his own.

Part mystery, part love story, and part coming-of-age tale in the vein of Stephen Chbosky’s The Perks of Being a Wallflower and Tim Tharp’s The Spectacular NowPlaylist for the Dead is an honest and gut-wrenching first novel about loss, rage, what it feels like to outgrow a friendship that's always defined you — and the struggle to redefine yourself. 
But above all, it's about finding hope when hope seems like the hardest thing to find.



TEASER(s)

"Back to missing him. I needed to do something to make myself feel better, though. I went to the laundry basket, dug out my old Radiohead T-shirt, and put it on under the suit." ~ page 11 (ARC)


"This led to our first fight about music, the first of many, so many I couldn't count. I wish I'd realized how important those fights would be to me. Maybe I'd have realized how much fun they were.~ pages 115-116 (ARC)


"I hadn't known Hayden thought that; we'd been around each other for such a long time that I'd felt like it would be a betrayal to admit to him how lonely I was, even with him as my friend, and it turned out he'd felt the same way the whole time." ~ page 155 (ARC)



What's your tease this week???

4 comments:

  1. The fights are fun, huh?


    mine: https://storytreasury.wordpress.com/2015/01/27/teaser-tuesday-american-elsewhere/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. I'm not sure about the book. There must be something about the fights that make them special?
    sherry @ fundinmental My TT ~ The Lie by Ashley Fontainne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know, I'm in two minds about this book.

    Mine is from The Walls Around Us:

    http://welcome-to-zeds-thoughts.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/teaser-tuesday-27th-jan-2015.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard to understand a suicide, especially someone really close to you. This might be an interesting book, I'm not sure, but it is now on my radar to check it out. Thank you for sharing this particular title.

    Mine is here: Teaser Tuesday

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment today!
If you are asking a question and you are a no-reply commenter,
please email me directly at thebumblegirl at rocketmail dot com or leave your email in the comments...
Thank you! and, as always, happy reading :)

 
Imagination Designs
Images by LabyrinthofDreams