"To find out what a story's really about,' the Librarian said,

'you don't ask the writer. You ask the reader."


- SNOW & ROSE by Emily Winfield Martin


Saturday, March 17, 2012

A Review: Hollowland by Amanda Hocking

Do you love/like zombies??? 
This is my second attempt to reading a zombie book - Here's what I read and what I think about it... 

Title: Hollowland 


Author: Amanda Hocking 
Format: eBook
Release Date: October 2010
Age Group: 13 +
Publisher: Self-Published by Amanda Hocking 
Author's Sites: Official Website, Blog, Facebook, Twitter  

"This is the way the world ends - not with a bang or a whimper, but with zombies breaking down the back door."

"Nineteen-year-old Remy King is on a mission to get across the wasteland left of America, and nothing will stand in her way - not violent marauders, a spoiled rock star, or an army of flesh-eating zombies." 



I have to admit, I am a big fan of Amanda Hocking's Trylle Trilogy -
I read them as ebooks and just loved everything about the whole trilogy.
When I saw Hollowland, I had some high expectations, even with the zombies in it.

Hocking did not disappoint me!
First, you got one kick ass main character, Remy King.
No matter what happens, this girl manages to keep herself together and not break down in any way. I know that some people had issues with this, but no one really knows how you will react if you were in the same situation as Remy - wouldn't you do almost anything for the ones that you love? Remy is trekking across America while killing off zombies to find her brother, the only person left of her family.
Along the way she gains a few friends who help her. And towards the last quarter of the book, we finally start to see a bit more of Remy's personality - a softer side where she slowly lets her guard down and we finally start to understand how strong she really is.

There is a tiny bit of romance going on, not a lot, but enough to remind you that even though there are zombies lurking in every corner, we always find time to be human and live life as normal as possible.

As for the zombies... I guess it's just a personal preference. I don't like gore and slimey things... when I first started reading the book, it didn't bother me. It starts out slow, but as the story moved along and the zombies got older and more started to pop up all over the place - it got weirder and gross!
Definitely not my thing. It's going to be a while before I read another zombie book, lol!

I give it 3 1/2 stars.
And I do hope to read the second book to the series (The Hollows), Hollowmen, later... this year ;)

Did you read it??? Are you a Hocking fan???
Let me know which book is your fave!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment today!
If you are asking a question and you are a no-reply commenter,
please email me directly at thebumblegirl at rocketmail dot com or leave your email in the comments...
Thank you! and, as always, happy reading :)

 
Imagination Designs
Images by LabyrinthofDreams